We do our best to work with insurance companies and make it easier for you to have your procedure. We appreciate that you provide complete information, so that we can submit your claim properly.
- * Remember to verify with your insurance company if you are covered for this service.
- 1. Call the insurance phone number in the back of your insurance card. Consider that we will charge insurances their allowed scheduled fee. If you have a high deductible that you have not yet met, it might be more affordable to pay the price offered for those without insurance.
- 2. Let them know you want to have a vasectomy (CPT code for the procedure is 55250).
- 3. Make sure to tell them this is an “office procedure” and NOT an “outpatient procedure”.
- 1.DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN, IBUPROFEN, or NAPROXEN within two (2) days of the procedure. If you are taking medications, please record them in the registration page.
- 2. Bring someone with you. Although your procedure will NOT limit your ability to drive, you may want to have someone there for support or to assist you in the case of unexpected events, such as a flat tire - you don’t want to be on the side of the road dealing with a vehicle just after a surgery.
- 3. Make sure that you wear a jockstrap (it will be provided to you for the procedure), athletic supporter, or tight underwear. Wear it when you come to your surgery (under your underwear). During the week following the surgery, we suggest you use it for more scrotal support and comfort, particularly if physically active at work.
- 4. Please trim the hair of your scrotum prior to the surgery, this will allow for a quicker preparation for the procedure and an easier surgical field.
- 5. Take a shower prior to your surgery to minimize the potential of skin infections due to limited hygiene
Post-Procedure After Care
- 1. Plan to spend a quiet evening at home, reclining in bed or a lounge chair. Minimize activity.
- 2. You may take acetaminophen/ibuprofen as directed if you have any discomfort. Avoid aspirin for two (2) days after the vasectomy. See medication directions below.
- 3. Apply ice for 30 minutes and then remove for 30 minutes. Repeat for four hours. Keep the area dry to avoid infections.
- 4. On the day after the procedure, you may walk and drive as much as you like. Avoid sports, yardwork, swimming, and heavy lifting of any kind. If your job is sedentary (office work or supervisor), you may return to work.
- 5. You may take a daily shower beginning the morning after your procedure. Replace the scrotal support and wear it whenever you are standing for the next two days and during activities for the next seven days.
- 6. Two days after the procedure, you may return to more strenuous work and regular activities wearing your scrotal support. Wait three days for aggressive sports, such as basketball and tennis.
- 7. You may have sex 5-7 days after the procedure. It is common to have some blood in the semen for the first few ejaculations. Use other forms of contraception until you are told that your semen is sperm-free.
- 8. Since no incision is made, a follow-up visit is not required; but if you have undue discomfort or any concerns, please contact us.
- 9. It is normal to have some discoloration of the skin around the puncture site. Some men will develop considerable discoloration of the scrotum about four days after the vasectomy. Blood from the deep vasectomy site comes to the surface as a purplish-blue mark, gets darker and spreads out like an oil slick, then gradually dissipates.
- 10. Some men (about one in 20) will develop swelling and discomfort on one or both sides, starting anytime from three days to three months following a vasectomy. This usually represents an exaggerated form of the normal inflammatory response necessary for sperm absorption and recycling. It is best managed with a 7-10 day course of Ibuprofen or Naproxen. See medication directions below.
- 11. At least 12 weeks and 20 ejaculations after your vasectomy, mail a semen sample to our office. This sample should be produced after a two day period of no ejaculation. We will call you once your sample has been checked.
Over-The-Counter Medications for pain care after vasectomy.
Take medications for at least 5-7 days in order to get the full anti-inflammatory effect.
make sure you are not allergic to any of these medications.
NAPROXEN (Aleve ®)
- Each tablet is 220mg
- Take 2 tablets BY-MOUTH twice-a-day (every 12 hours)
IBUPROFEN (Motrin ®, Advil ®)
- Each tablet is 200mg
- Take 3-4 tablets BY-MOUTH 3 (three) times-per-day (every 8 hours)
ACETAMINOPHEN (Tylenol ®)
- Each Extra Strength tablet is 500mg
- Take 1-2 tablets BY-MOUTH 4 (four) times-per-day (every 6 hours)
Semen Samples (PVSA)
instructions for your post-vasectomy semen specimen
- 1. After 12 weeks and 20 ejaculations (whichever occurs later), following your vasectomy, collect one sample of your semen after a two-day period of no ejaculation. The sample can be collected in any clean container (ie. medicine bottle), and then transferred to the tube provided. Do not wash the tube out. The powder in the tube prevents bacteria from growing in your specimen. Do not overfill the tube (just up to its neck). Make sure the lid is screwed on securely. Place the tube into the plastic biohazard bag and seal the bag.
- 2. Make sure you fill out completely the label on the biohazard bag: Full name, date of birth, location of the vasectomy, date of the vasectomy, and date of sample collection.
- 3. Place the biohazard bag with the enclosed specimen vial into the pre-addressed mailer box. You must apply the correct postage. The post office will not deliver mail without correct postage (it may be returned to you). Make sure you send it the same day you collect the sample. The sample must arrive at our office within 3-5 days of collection (otherwise the sample may be rejected).
- 4. If you send in your specimen before 12 weeks or if you lose the mailer provided at the time of the procedure, we will send you another mailer for a fee of $20 payable by credit card online. To request a new kit, please go to the Patient Portal HERE.
- 5. The results will be sent securely to the registered email address in your chart. Once the sample has been received, the results will be reported within 24-48 hours.